Oak Cliff

“Oak Cliff derives its name from the massive oaks that crown the soft green cliffs.”
Neighborhoods and Other Landmarks

Beckley Club Estates

Beckley Club Estates is a neighborhood in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, Texas. The area is composed of bungalow style houses built in the 1930s and 1940s along winding, hilly streets in North Oak Cliff. The area's boundaries consist of North Shore to the north, Beckley to the west, Arizona Ave. to the East and Iowa Ave. to the south.

Cedar Crest Additiion

Built in the 1950s and 1960s, Cedar Crest Addition is comprised of brick and masonry homes set back on chalk cliffs among tree-lined streets overlooking the Dallas skyline. Cedar Crest Country Club Estates  is nestled among the towering oak and pine trees surrounding the Cedar Crest Country Club Golf Course. Cedar Crest Village, also built in the 1950s and 1960s, is adjacent to Lancaster-Kiest Shopping Center.

Cockrell Hill

A compact area of just one square mile, this residential haven is nestled in southwest Dallas on Jefferson Boulevard. Nearby are Mountain Creek Lake and the regional shopping facilities of Wynnewood Village.

Five Mile Creek Addition

A winding creek, chalk hills and lots of trees add to this quiet, well-established Oak Cliff neighborhood. Brick and stucco homes are built on large lots and well set back among streets with numerous cul-de-sacs, all near to Kiest Park and Redbird Airport..

Kessler Park and Stevens Park

Two of Dallas' most exclusive and desirable neighborhoods are located just five minutes from downtown on the Oak Cliff side of the Trinity River. The Stevens Park neighborhood is bounded by Remond Dr to the north, N Hampton Rd to the east, Fullerton Dr to the west and Fort Worth Ave to the south. The neighborhood includes the following streets: Barberry Dr, W Colorado Blvd, Fullerton Dr, Lawndale Dr, Leander Dr, Stevens Crest Dr, Stevens Ridge Dr, and Walter Dr. Kessler Park is bounded by Highway 30 to the North, Colorado to the South, Beckley to the East, and the Stevens Park Golf Course to the West. Originally a wealthy neighborhood, it fell upon hard times and is now back in vogue.


Lisbon Addition- "Lisbon West of the Trinity", Helen B. Anthony, 1971
Lisbon, Texas, was a small town six miles south of the Dallas County Courthouse, which was settled by the Sloan brothers sometime before 1845.  It was an incorporated township, which was annexed to Dallas in 1929. The house which Samuel Sloan built in 1846 was near the intersection of Ledbetter Drive and the east crossing of five mile creek.

Trinity Heights

Trinity Heights was a subdivision rather than a separate municipality and did not have a city hall, although it did have its own water works and school system. The present Harrell Budd Elementary School on Marsalis was originally Trinity Heights High School.

Trinity Heights was annexed by the City of Dallas in the 1920s. The Trinity Heights Post Office opened in the late 1940s on Vermont bewteen Ewing and Maryland. That area was considered to be the heart of Trinity Heights and the main retail district. There were 2 or 3 grocery stores, a drug store, a tavern/pool hall before alcohol sales were discontinued, a movie theater, cafes, a convenience store (when they were called "ice houses" ), service stations/garages, a fire station, churches, and a orphanage (Sunshine Home). Many of the buildings still survive though some of those are vacant. A new discount store is in the south side of Vermont.

There are views of the area and structures on the Sanborn Insurance Maps for 1922 and 1950 but lack specific details to identify the use other than the residence fronting Ramsey Avenue. These maps are available at the Dallas Public Library.  by M C Toyer-

Red Bird Addition

Large, custom-built homes surround the Oak Cliff Country Club in this serene Oak Cliff area along with gently sloping landscapes throughout the winding, tree-lined streets.

Singing Hills

Singing Hills is located in Dallas,Texas (South Oak Cliff) near the intersections of LOOP 12/ Ledbetter Drive  Houston School Road, not to far from I-35e/R.L. Thornton Frwy.  Most of the homes in Singing Hills were built between 1957 - until about mid 70's.

Wynnewood North Addition

Built primarily in the late 1950s to mid-1960s, Wynnewood North was a quality neighborhood in which most of the homes are of brick construction. Among some of the older, custom-built homes in this sedate neighborhood lies a two-acre manmade lake surrounded by oak trees. Nearby is the historic Wynnewood Village Shopping Center, composed of more than 80 stores and a professional building.

Disclaimer section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976...
This is a non-profit, informational web page, dedicated to connecting old friends. Use of copyrighted material is consistent with the "fair use" provisions contained in section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976; the use of copyrighted material is of a nonprofit, educational nature, intended for the sole purposes of research and comment and does not significantly negatively affect "the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work(s)."


The Houston Street Viaduct.
• Voters approved a $600,000 bond issue to build the bridge in August 1909.
• It was designed by Ira G. Hedrick of Kansas City, Mo.
• Construction included 75,000 barrels of cement, 60,000 cubic yards of gravel, 7,000 cubic yards of rock and 1,787 tons of steel bars.
• The bridge's central span stood 90 feet above the river channel.
• The bridge opened with a parade and ceremony on Feb. 22, 1912.
• It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Headed to Downtown Dallas from Oak Cliff
Development of Wynnewood

The 820-acre Wynnewood Village, at Zang Boulevard and West Illinois Avenue, was designed to be just that—a village. Home construction began in 1946, with many post-war families moving to the Wynnewood Apartments abutting the center. Groundbreaking for the shopping center soon followed. Skillern’s drug store, A&P grocery, and M.E. Moses variety store anchored the early retail strip. Wynnewood Bank, Wynnewood Hotel, and Wynnewood Professional Building added to the village atmosphere. Fondly remembered are the glass enclosed monkey cages that flanked the back entrance at Volk’s and retailers that provided customers with bank drafts for all the major Dallas banks. Wynnewood Theater opened in 1953 to serve the growing community. Saturday mornings saw lines of parents dropping off their children, while other days and movies provided entertainment for the grown ups. Wynnewood Village became the hub of Oak Cliff shopping during the 50s, 60s, and early 70s, and pulled significant activity from Jefferson Boulevard, until new suburban shopping malls did the same to Wynnewood Village.